View Single Post
      12-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #82
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I don't a ton of BMW ads when BMW was the go to car for C&D, R&T, Automobile, Motortrend most of the 90s and early 2000s. Maybe that's just my poor memory Almost a 20 year run. The M3 had been the top of the 10 Best List for C&D since the days of the e36 M3 and probably before.
All for of the major car magazines had a love affair for anything BMW.
Now you can get a Camaro that has more horsepower, that is faster and out outhandles an M4, same with the Mustang Shelby GT350, and Cadillac ATS-V, and Alfa Romeo Giulia QF, AMG C63. And the CTS-V, E63 is still a good option/competitor for the M5.
Could it be that the competition from Euros and Americans have improved in leaps and bounds, whereas BMW has only improved incrementally, and that the fact is that BMW AG sees the future in electrification and with its mandates of no bespoked M engines has decided that the M brand will slowly die on the vine---being more less and less "go", and more and more "show"?
I think so! Before M2 I test drove a '17 Camaro, and if I had been able to find one, would have test driven a GT350 too. Even though Id have a hard time seeing myself in those brands, I have to admit the Camaro was a hoot to drive.. I would have seriously considered it if vision had been better. As it is I found it very claustrophobic.. Its exterior dimensions, too, were larger than I wanted. The Quadrifoglio has also piqued my interest as has the RS3, neither of which was available when I bought my M2. What Ive liked about BMW all these years is, Ive always been able to find a sporty car in their lineup that has more usable room than a Cayman, but with driving dynamics that arent far off. Now, I think the RS3 would satisfy that craving, but at a higher price because of the way Audi packages their cars.