08-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #148
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
How is BMW making a FWD any different from when they bought, raped and sold Land Rover for the Range Rover technology and then made ... OMG!!1111 an SUV! It isn't. And yet you laud over the X3 and X5 as if they're an integral part of this wonderful thing you call the BMW brand. Oh, and go and drive a Focus RS or a CTR and then tell me you can't make a FWD driver's car.

It's just a car, people.
It's the perception, rightly or wrongly that FWD do not fit with either 'Premium' or 'Sporting'. When the X5 was developed it maintained a premium image.

I personally don't like FWD, but there's no doubt there are some great drivers cars that are FWD. Will the 1GT be one? I don't know.

The fact is both Mercedes and Audi have been selling FWD cars for years... even the A8 has been offered with FWD and truth be told, it hasn't damaged their reputations that much has it.

The only reason why BMW exists today, is because in the past it has made cars the public not just wanted, but needed also. If they had stuck fast to making big expensive saloons they would have been bought by Daimler after the 501 and 502 faded away.
Appreciate 0