View Single Post
      06-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I have Super Sports on my F31 and am very pleased with them. Their wet and dry grip is impressive. I have xDrive (I wish I did not), so that may not be a fair comparison. I find the compromise of comfort, grip and noise to be almost perfect for me.

I had a 135i and regardless of the tires (I had the Bridgestones, the Yokohama Advans) the characteristics of the turbo engine would break the wheels loose all the time.

Question is how is the grip and feedback in the corners? If you are getting good lateral grip, the answer is to ease off on the throttle.

I have Pilot Stort Cup 2s on my 1M and while cold they are a little stiff and have a tendency of being sliding a bit, once warm they are very sticky.

I find P-Zeros to be grippier when cool, but then the characteristics of the tires become less than ideal which cuts down on their useable life quite a bit. I used to get a lot of cupping on the fronts on my 993.

I wonder if it might be something to do with mixing XL tires, although according to this the XL tires should add better grip, generally the pressure ratings for the XL tires are higher.

TireRack says;

Quote:
Can I place an "extra load" tire on a vehicle that calls for a "standard" rating?

The "XL" (extra load) tire can be ordered for a vehicle that had a standard load tire as its Original Equipment. This is accomplished in the manufacturing process by adding additional material to the shoulder of a tire for extra strength. These reinforcements (usually accomplished with polyamide belting found where the sidewall and tread meet) are designed to minimize any tire deflection and reduce potential damage due to road impact. These strong tires will be branded with an "XL" or "RF" in their descriptions.

Will the XL tire have an effect on my comfort?

The "XL" tire will change the perception and feel of the vehicle. Tires that are engineered with reinforced sidewalls typically fall into the performance tire category. These tires have a rubber compound formulated to accentuate performance but not necessarily detract from the ride quality.

A driver should consider XL tire options when plus sizing any wheel packages or if more feedback from the tire is desired. Drivers seeking a firmer ride and enhanced car control would not need to be concerned with the XL warning when comparing different tires to match their driving expectations. As a matter of fact, this type tire will enhance the overall vehicle stability and handling. Also, the selection of a more aggressive tread compound will increase grip in the wet and dry.

For drivers desiring a softer feel and are willing to forgo the car’s stability in cornering, the standard load tire will be a more appropriate choice.
So according to the above, you are getting better grip up front. Why did you decide to mix tire types?

B.
Appreciate 0