Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
Picked up a 320i last week with 77k miles(125,200 km's to be exact, i live in Holland). I usually dont buy cars with more than 100,000 km/60k miles on the dash but the thing is i still have 9 months of BMW guarantee with this car. So that kinda makes me more comfortable with it. Its an ex-lease and always maintened at BMW. I do have the knocking engine sound but like everyone says, its gone when the oil is hot enough. And everything else is just smoooth.

Now the big question. I was delightfully suprised to hear that the 320i has the same engine, turbo, drivetrain and transmission as the 328i, except for the pistons. So a remap is a logical choice. But is this a smart thing to do at 125,000 km's? Is the N20 engine solid enough for this? And just to be clear: i want the 184hp to 260hp remap.

Also IF i take the remap, i will probably go to the ZF(the maker of the tranny) hq in Dortmund to get a full revision for about €400. Which is a really fair price.
someone correct me if i am wrong, but the actual transmission internals are strong enough to handle the extra power, but i believe the transmission should be remapped for the extra power.

I would also either install a downpipe or upgraded muffler to help assist with the added power.
That's correct. It's possible to code the 328 Tranny to the M235i. So it expects the same torque and power.
Appreciate 0