View Single Post
      05-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #84
TEAShea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

My suggested procedure for washing a car.

There is one important issue when washing a car - minimized scratching. Remember that dirt and dust is very abrasive. If you push a particle of dirt against the paint, you will scratch the paint - just like using sandpaper.

With rare exceptions you do not need, and should not use, a bucket and soap or detergent. If your car is dirty enough to need soap or detergent, take it to a wand style do it yourself car wash and pre-wash the car by spraying it. The water in a bucket will get dirty and the dirt will not all fall to the bottom - it will be suspended and will get on your brush (or mitt) and then back on the car.

The key is to continually wash the dirt off with a spray of water aimed at the brush. A boar's hair brush is best because it is soft but remains stiff enough in water (unlike horsehair etc). Poly brushes are a no-no because they will scratch the paint.

If your drying towel shows any sign of discoloration after use, it means you did not wash the car well enough and you are pressing dirt into the paint when you dry it.

Waxing only takes a half hour - so I (almost) always wax my car after I wash it.

Yea - fanatical.

1) Equipment
- hose
- boar's hair brush for the body
- boar's hair brush for the wheels
- long handled soft brush for inside of wheels

2) Procedure
- wash it in the shade, no wind - or inside
- rinse the car thoroughly
- with a steady stream of water pointed on the brush, wash the wheels
- use the long handled soft brush for the inside of the wheels
- with a steady stream of water pointed on the brush, wash the body