View Single Post
      05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #27
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

Enjoy Your SAT Subscription!

I also read the letter from the disgruntled 6 Series owner in Roundel, and while I can't argue that the overall experience of using BMW Apps could be better, that same argument can be made for any emerging technology.

The simple truth of the matter is that BMW does not own every piece of the puzzle, and the type of multi-tasking described in his letter, say switching from BMW Apps to Pandora using the controller or potentially by voice, is really a limitation of iOS 5.

What may seem natural, i.e., how a computer handles multi-tasking, would quickly run down a smartphone battery when it is not being charged in a cradle, which is most of the time for a handheld device.

Furthermore, I can accept the fact that there are many people who believe if they can drop 80K large on a car, it also frees them of the responsibility of understanding the benefits and limitations of their purchase. So, it fact, it becomes the responsibility of Apple, BMW and the dealer.

So, that leaves us with said asshat whining about spending an additional $500 of his 80K purchase for the BMW Apps and associated cradle to do the following:

Use the iOS interface for music and video.
Listen to hundreds of free Web radio stations.
Read/post Facebook/Twitter.
Read RSS feed.
Read iOS calendar (also Google/Outlook).
Search using Wiki w/location services.
Access your fuel level/range/mileage and where you are parked remotely and away from your car.

Plus, access Pandora and MOG, both providing more music options than any reasonable person could possibly listen to during a month-long, cross-country drive.

And whatever new features or apps that may come over the course of your car ownership.

And not forgetting that the cradle improves the cell strength and charges your phone.

I've used it for year and it has worked flawlessly every time. You launch BMW Apps before or after you place it in the cradle, and that's it. Or you launch Pandora or MOG. Pull over and change it if you like. That's your problem, not mine.

The real issue for our OCD suffering friend is that he can't make up his mind regarding what he is supposed to be doing behind the wheel.

Try driving your car. Or ignoring the issue all together and listen to SAT, which is only $350 to install.

Without a monthly subscription.

Good luck clown!

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0