View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I appreciate everyone's responses, certainly a lot of ways to look at this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Accordingly, I take amusement in responding to folks who seem to have $40 - $50K of disposable income, yet cannot, without soliciting a bunch of strangers, make decisions regarding their own personal satisfaction and/or financial well being. I was brought up such that that's just not something adults do. So again, apologies for any umbrage I may have caused you. Just as a skunk knows well that he stinks, I know this is one of my flaws.

Sincerely,
Tony
I do not come looking for people to make my decision for me. I am looking for people to help discuss the pros and cons so that I am able to make a better and more informed decision. I come from the mindset and believe that it is very easy to get one idea or thought in your head that can make it difficult to see different angles and points of view. Maybe I had overlooked a potentially large consideration... Who knows, that is why I solicit input from others. Two (many) minds are often better than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
A very good point. Odds of a software update for the "old" iDrive are very slim.
Exactly, even if the new APPs and SDK will work for the old system, I bet most software developers will develop for the new hardware since they can do more with its better hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Have we finally come to a point where people buy options and luxury technology over buying the actual car and what it offers a driver?

Don't get the NAV and then don't worry about a newer version coming soon.
I do not think we buy options and luxury over the actual car. If that was the case I would buy a Lexus or Cadillac. I think we have advanced with modern technology to the point that the balance and integration with the driving and mobility functions is more interconnected. We can by all means eliminate these new features and just have a drivers car; but if we are going to have these features though, why not consider the benefits of newer technology when it is available.