View Single Post
      03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #278
aceking4u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I've seen figures that around 60% of all new BMW's in NA are leases. BMW has become even more dependent on the US with EU economic downturn, while Audi has aggressively been going after eastern markets. Worldwide sales are more or less the same (maybe 1.5 to 1.4 million). The S4 is a much more niche product. You have to option the 3 series pretty specifically to compete, and based on what you see on dealer lots, very few 335's are m-sport. Don't get me wrong, a 335 modern line is a great car, but it won't be in the same performance class as an S4. Not everyone wants a harsh sports car, but rather a refined 335 with power to spare. I'd venture 328 vs 335 is probably 10 - 1, and things will get even more skewed with the 320.
60% is pretty close. I've talked to dealers and its closer to 70%. A lot of people write off cars. So leasing is ideal. When leasing becomes ideal for those who can afford it, they go for the lower "Lease Payments.". The thing that's also funny, although BMW sells more cars than Audi, the net income is nearly identical. Why would Audi give a deal on an S5 in the US for $55k when they can sell it in China for $105k. They want U.S presence, but they also don't have the allocation to send cars here like BMW. However, by lacking in sales volume in the US. They make it back in higher margins else where. In the U.S, it feels like BMW is Microsoft/Windows and Audi is more like a Mac/Apple software.