View Single Post
      08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #59
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Quote:
On the sedan, the difference between AWD and RWD is 31/43 and 32/45 respectively. That's a difference of about $50 per year according to fueleconomy.gov. I'd stay it's statistically insignificant. The wagon's ratings are identical to the xDrive sedan.

If I had the choice I'd probably go with RWD too, just to get proper RWD handling, but I'm amazed that the AWD doesn't have a bigger penalty.
The mileage difference in real-world driving could be more, but you're right in that it's a small percentage. Regardless, I don't want the effects that sunroof and AWD have on handling. RWD is the way to go for those of us that don't need AWD for winter driving.

The sunroof on the wagon is huge, adding weight where you don't want it and solar heat gain as well. I have sunroof on my 335i because it came standard and would probably affect resale if I didn't have it. It can be deleted on sedans, but I have a problem paying BMW to get rid of something when deleting it probably takes only a few keystrokes for them and is a cost savings to boot!

On wagons, the point was made previously on this forum that sunroof delete on wagons in the USA is probably not an option due to crash testing standards. The thinking is that if all wagons come with it standard, crash tests would have to be made in both configurations to let one in without it. I want to call BS on this, as I bet BMW doesn't have to test 3 series sedans with/without sunroofs, but I guess it's academic.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0