View Single Post
      09-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
As many will know, I have admired some of my cars traits, but there is one department it hasn't performed well at all, and that is in the handling area.

I changed over to NRF tyres (only the rear at present) and although it made a whacking great difference on very rough tarmac (physical vibration reduced at least in half), it hasn't made much difference to the general handling.....as you would expect, they are only tyres, a small part of the equation.
To be absolutely honest here, for someone as experienced as yourself, who is not happy with the setup, I'm surprised you haven't made a fundamental 'first move' and get 4 tyres on the car which are the same. BMW chassis do not work as well with mixed tyres, proven so many times, with many models, by many experienced drivers. Two run-flat and two non run-flat are asking for strange handling characteristics. If it was me, I'd try a "set" of tyres before changing over to the new suspension and setting it up. Until you have a true benchmark of what the car will be like on the tyre of your choice, (as a set), you have likely compromised and/or strange handling anyway. I'd eliminate one variable before the new suspension, get some 'butt' data.

Not at all surprised you are not happy with some of its characteristics at present, with mixed tyres.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0