View Single Post
      04-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #34
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
That's a shame. Are you speaking from personal experience or based off of research that you have come across?

The reason I ask is because I saw a video review/comparison the other day that pitted the ZL1 against the Shelby GT500. In another video the ZL1 faced off with the Boss 302. In each comparison, the ZL1 came out on top.

I think it was the GT500 (rather than the 302) that ultimately lost because it was done after one lap. The brakes were toast and the car was running hot (causing it to lose power, etc.).

The driver (an actual race car driver and not a car magazine writer/blogger) complimented the ZL1 for its ability to continue to run strong for the entirety of its testing session. It's only one review/data point but it led me to believe that the ZL1 actually was a legitimate track car.
I have a lot of experience with PD Blowers and the LSA engine. Also I have not drove a ZL1 on the track but was at a HPDE with a couple of ZL1 drivers and CTS-Vs. They handle great on the track but they are not track cars. The weight of the cars put a ton of stress on driveline and power train components. It's no secret either it's pretty common if you frequent Camaro5 boards. They do offer a lot of upgrades for cooling but heatsoak is never going to go away. Suspension wise the ZL1 is track ready. To prove my point look at Camaro 1LE times vs ZL1 very close. PD Blowers are not ideal for road tracks.

The Boss 302 is a real track car and the only thing holding it back is the solid rear axle. The GT500 is a muscle car nothing more. In a straight line it eats the ZL1 in the corners it's the opposite.

But I don't judge a car based on peak lap times alone. That's why the M3 and Cayman are two of my favorite.
Appreciate 0