View Single Post
      10-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
usually with a warrenty case, the dealer has to prove specifically that the mod was the cause of the issue at hand. so if something goes wack they have to prove that the springs r what caused it.

as far as install, i have always been told that whatever u do during the lease is ur call but when its returned u better put it all back just the way it came basically. every dealer can be slightly diff on this though ...
True about leasing. If you change something to non OEM, then you need to change it back before returning the car.
Warranty violations still apply however, even on leased cars.

If a customer installs a set of non OEM springs, and something goes wrong with the OEM damper/shocks, the dealer can easily and likely will void warranty on those items, because using non OEM springs is a direct violation of the warranty, which states that you can not 'modify' the OEM parts/system, and if you do you will void the warranty.

In a case like that there isn't much a dealer or manufacturer need to "prove", as the warranty language speaks for itself.

Now, if you installed a set of non OEM springs and then your turbo goes out, there would be a problem for the dealer and manufacturer if they deny warranty on the turbo because you added non OEM springs.

Warranties are legally binding, and if the warranty states in writing that 'modifications' will void the warranty or parts of the warranty, then the customer must comply, or potentially lose the warranty.
I say "potentially" because some dealers may look the other way.
But that would be their choice not the customers.
Appreciate 0