View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Gearbox "I test drive the 8 speed sport auto. This is pretty nice and close enough to the DSG I have in the GTI. I didn't feel like I had quite the same control of it as I do in the DSG which I drive 98% of time in manual mode."
I don't think the two technical concepts are comparable, certainly not in the way you describe.
DSG is a dual clutch (more or less nervous) transmission; the BMW 8-gear is something even a Rolls-Royce can dream about ) not even Mercedes has something similar (in their flagship car). The BMW automatic is smooth and refined, with a responsive character of an Arabian pure blood horse.
VW DSG is a ticky thing; not pleasant at all.

Handling "I was surprised at the level of body roll at high speed around corners."
The wheelbase of the F30 is way longer than that of the Golf. A Golf with such a wheelbase would probably just make a straight road out of your bends (and make some wood for the coming winter in the process).
A BMW 135M is something comparable to your Golf.
It says a lot that such a sedan can hold its own in comparison.

Another question is suspension; the Adaptive suspension for 1.100€ brings a note of a racing car if set to Sport+; otherwise you can order M sport suspension or even take a tuner offering; the last possibilities are going to transform your car into a race car.
I personally prefer Comfort mode (Adaptive suspension); so BMW now really offers a car that suits very different requests.

The F30 responds to different needs.
With the M-sport package it can be however a race car for a (not yet completely) grown up VW GTI driver .

Last edited by Antares; 11-01-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0