06-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
Just recommend those with these tunes watch out for the internal components - there have been recurring cases of N20s blowing up when pushing out this much power. It is pushing/exceeding the capabilities of the pistons + con rods.

If you are serious about getting power out of this car, invest in rebuilding those components before they fail.

That being said, this GSR Tune is very promising and I really want one. I just don't trust this motor to last for the duration of my lease with this much power.
From the limited research into the failures that I have done too, it seems it's a preignition issue when running high boost (23psi) and a down pipe, at the limit if the engine design (supposedly 450Nm).

hopefully these circumstances are far more preventable with an actual flash tune.

Also in the long run I am happy to keep the boost lower and thus torque in the 450Nm (330lbft) range, but upgrade the turbo so there isn't as much fall off.

My goal is to take this engine (as safely as possible) to 330lbft and 330hp at the wheel. 165hp per liter.

I plan to consult an engine builder on the conrods since those seem to be the highest risk item. Supposedly my goal is inside the capabilities of the OEM components.
Appreciate 2