View Single Post
      08-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #11
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Well that's totally contrary to how two dealerships have described it to me. It has always been explained to me as the complete opposite, inasmuch as it's exactly the same up to 90 degrees and then a sharper turn-in after that and meant mainly for parking manouvres and the such like.

The BMW website say:
Quote:
Variable sports steering.

Sports driving dynamics meet maximum comfort: variable sports steering adapts the angle of the front wheels to the actual conditions so that the new BMW 3 Series Sedan reacts more or less directly to the driver’s steering commands.

The steering wheel movements required for large wheel angles are reduced by up to 25 per cent. Parking and cornering thus become easier and more comfortable because the driver has to exert less effort.
Handling qualities also benefit, such as when rapid evasive manoeuvres are required.

In the case of smaller steering angles between zero and 100 degrees, the car displays accurate tracking and high stability on straight stretches while conducting steering movements with impressive precision. The steering ratio in each case is determined purely mechanically by a variable transmission for the steering rack.
Make of that what you will because it's inconclusive Now it's possible that two dealerships wouldn't know what they're talking about but I made a point of asking both because I assumed I wanted it. They both told me it makes no difference in normal driving and is only useful over 90* lock when parking and manouvering and that the "sporty" vs "comfort" steering comes from Servotronic, not VSS. They both definitely told me that Servotronic and VSS are itentical up to 90* of lock.