View Single Post
      02-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Day 5: Fussen, Hohenschwangau, The Neuschwanstein (Mad King Ludwig’s Castle)

Day 5: Fussen, Hohenschwangau, The Neuschwanstein (Mad King Ludwig’s Castle)

In the afternoon, I depart Rothenburg for the 2 hour drive to Füssen. It’s my first stretch of autobahn in the dry. Driving 180–200 kph is just the best.

But, the weather turned around about this tunnel.

I need an expresso. I stop at one of these really nice gas/rest stops. These places are just great. BTW, for those doing a future ED and haven’t been to Germany, you pump the gas first.

The bathroom. Very Teutonic. First, you pay to get in. It’s staffed and pristinely clean. We should do this in the US.

Check out the food. This is a gas station.

My expresso. I guess it’s really a latte. Germans always give that little butter cookie.

I feel better and I’m off again.

I arrive at the Villa Toscana in the evening. These pictures are from the next morning. Villa Toscana is by far the nicest place I stayed at. I recommend it. It’s a bit outside of Fussen in a residential area, but I was there only for the night.

The two castles I’m visiting are the Hohenschwangau and the more famous Neuschwanstein. They are within walking distance of each other. They are both a bit of a climb, especially the Neuschwanstein. You can pay for a horse-drawn carriage ride, but I just walked it.

These were like Clydesdales. Very beefy horses.

There’s a little village, with hotels, restaurants and gift shops, at the base of the castles.

The older Hohenschwanstein

There is no photography in the castle. After the tour I descend the hill.

The Neuschwanstein from the village.

I’m almost there.

The gatehouse.

Inside the courtyard. It’s absolutely filled with Japanese tourists.

The back of the gatehouse. It may not be called that.

Again, there’s no photography in the castle. This picture is just as I exit.

Goodbye to Mad King Ludwig’s Castle. It’s beautiful. Put it on your bucket list.

My European Delivery Thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807429

Last edited by Jackson743; 03-03-2013 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0