03-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #67
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
A smartphone has a 500 mw antenna, has a rather limited battery capacity, and is prone to worse than optimal reception inside a steel/windowed car.

A BMW with this tech uses the roof-mounted 2000 mw antenna, has a rather big battery capacity, and provides the best reception you can get.

If you're happy with your wife and kids watching Internet video's over your Iphone 5 connection, that's fine. But don't say this tech/option from BMW is useless.

Kids: want to stay in the car, and play, while daddy is shopping for just 15 minutes
You: Want to take your cell phone with you, because you want to be reachable.
Kids: now don't have Internet connection anymore...
You: Reflecting "Damn, BMW was right about offering this option after all..."
I've been cross shopping the Allroad with the 328xi touring and this is one of the features that had me leaning towards the A4. I personally would never use it but my kids sure would on the 3 hour trip to the ski cottage. After years of getting soaked for crap in car entertainment systems I'm happy to see that they can all use their iPads, get decent internet service and not have to mess around with remotes, crappy headphones and dvd's all over the car.

So although I'm likely to end up with my 25th or 26th BMW (have never had an Audi), this will reinforce my decision ever so slightly.

Convergence and convenience. It has its place.