06-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #276
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToAgree View Post
Appreciate that view but my sense is that is a very high ambition. Look at all the CELs that occur with folks adding downpipes? when you read those posts, there are no assertions on the company that their downpipes are poor because a CEL is being thrown. It reads like normal modding that requires consideration of sensors being tripped. Just offering an observation. I'm not happy either that I had the inconvenience of bringing my car to the dealer becuase of a CEL. I could've just cleared the CEL at my home and written it off but wanted to have the dealer check it. Hopefully, it wont happen to often as the car is an absolute beast with the Dinan tune and I really dont want to lose the warranty option nor do i want to remove the harness every time i bring in for service work (eg with the JB4).
Throwing a check engine light is 100% expected when installing a downpipe on any modern vehicle. The check engine light for P0420/P0430 (catalyst efficiency) is telling you the catalytic converter(s) have been removed which the car is legally mandated to warn you about. If you take the cats out, you should expect the car’s monitoring of the cats to pop up and tell you they are gone (or not working). A stage 2 tune typically shuts off the cat monitoring and prevents a CEL but would not allow the car to pass emissions testing, at least here in California.

If you throw any other oxygen sensor codes besides P0420 or P0430, the installer may have damaged an O2 sensor (they’re pretty sensitive), installed the sensors in the wrong spots, or in rare cases the location of the O2 sensor bungs is too close together or too far apart for the primary & secondary sensors which can confuse the ECU.
Appreciate 0