07-05-2023, 08:20 AM   #4
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
That was kind of my concern as well, and useful feedback. I had a fairly nice JDM Momo perforated wheel on 2 of my older cars that I liked a lot when it was new, but it would get shiny and feel a little sticky/goopy after using it for a few months, even after cleaning it with several different products it would come back within a week. Saving up and going custom seems like it wouldn’t be too much more expensive, especially if I had a cheaper, trashed OEM wheel with the heated core to use to be recovered
im surprised you say that, i always found perforated easier to maintain and felt it looks cleaner for longer than regular leather. i was in same dilemma as you about replacing my M-Sport wheel, and saw an ad on F80 forums for a brand new wheel for a really good deal, so I decided to give it a go. Thought if I maintained properly from day 1, it'll last longer, I mean my wheel certainly looks better than 99% of the msport/m3 wheels I see in other people's pictures of their car's interior, but it still doesnt look as good to me as the day I got it. also just like you mentioned, when i clean it, it looks new and restores nicely but only a few days to a week later, it already starts to lose its matteness, which starts to bother me. if not for the good deal I got on it, I'd never go the OEM route tbh.
Appreciate 1