10-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Perhaps the wind noise ISN'T fully cured... that is a possibility. Tyre noise is definitely intrusive, very common complaint of the F30.

If you have found the BMW diesels aren't gruff, then you are in a different universe than me, I've never driven any 3.0d that isn't displaying typical diesel characteristics. They may be the best diesel engines out there, but diesel they still are, albeit they improve with each generation.

Perhaps we view engine refinement and the aural sounds in a different way.

I'm not criticising the diesel, as I am a diesel man at heart, (45-years of experience with diesel) but no way can they yet compare to the sweet, virtually vibration free petrol six. I back to back tested the F10 530d and 535i and there is no comparison on refinement. The 535i is still streets ahead on engine NVH.

HighlandPete
like I said I am driving the touring 328i and wind / tyre noise is very low indeed, obviously engine noise is low also, but going by my 335D M Sport engine it's no way gruff or intrusive but I get were your coming from with it's "Sound", prohaps we are at slightly X purposes on this
Ether way I am longing to get mine, it went into build today so 4 weeks maximum to wait now.