12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
frogman i got a quick question, coding doesn't void warranty right?
Simple answer is: No, it shouldn't. Read the coding threads for more details. There's lots of chatter about this.

All we are doing is enabling features that are already available in the car, but just not activated in US builds for some reason. Things like folding mirrors via the remote/CA, tire pressures screens, etc.

Some people are coding to change engine parameters, etc. I could see that voiding the engine warranty. Nothing in the current coding sheet touches the DME.

Where some people have also gotten into trouble is when they code additional modules not originally installed on the car (changing the VO), changing the VIN and/or manufacturing date. That messes up the software update process at the dealer, so they have to be careful.

When you take the car into service and they update the software in your car, they will return you coded values back to default. You will have to have it coded again to restore your changes. I've had than happen already and they didn't care as it does not interfere with them performing the update.

Bottom line is that you yourself have to decide what you want to code and what risk/hassle you are willing to take to have these features.

Note: When you take the car into service and they update the software in your car, they will return you coded values back to default. You will have to have it coded again to restore your changes. I've had than happen already and they didn't care as it does not interfere with them performing the update.
Appreciate 0