09-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Spacebug
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glackster View Post
If you haven't got professional media or enhanced Bluetooth, it allows you to access your iPhone or iPod through the idrive system.

If you only have the standard stereo set up, without nav, the standard apple USB will not allow you to access your music library, you need the Y Cable. You can use the 3.5mm jack to jack, but then you need to control the music from the actual device, not the idrive.

I'm using an eBay special, for £10 and it works just fine.
OK so i have to confess to being an idiot.. I ordered said cable from eBay and it duly arrived today. However, on Friday i got myself an iPhone 5 and sold the iPhone 4 - so there's me thinking that i don't care about the new connector on the iPhone 5 to be hit with an issue 4 days in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d;
I currently have an F10 520D with no nav and use the standard apple supplied usb cable with my i pod.
I can control my music through the i drive system no problem and have always wondered what benefit using a Y style cable would bring too?
If i connect my iPhone (4, when i had it, or 5) with the standard Apple cable i get nothing at all. I wonder if the iPod is different in some way, as far as the connectivity goes. I don't have Nav - in fact the only thing i have is standard bluetooth and USB audio.

So now i have to wait until a) someone releases a Y cable with the new connector - or Apple release the adapter which won't be for a few weeks yet.
Appreciate 0