02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #171
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Interesting. I appreciate an engineering approach, but am having trouble following the above example for the D-Class sedan.

From looking at the drawing of xDrive for the 335i sedan on the BMW website, the extra hardware of xDrive looks like it is roughly in the same plane as the driveshaft, which is roughly in the same plane as the wheel centers.

According to the example above, the sedan's wheel centers are .205m / 8" below the COM, so that would put the extra weight of xDrive lower than the COM. If so, that should have the effect of lowering the vehicle's COM with xDrive.

I'm also having trouble following the effect of the 10mm lowered ride height for RWD with sport suspension. In terms of meters as the unit of measurement used in the example, that 10mm is only 0.01m.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Bruce
According to the calculation in post 168 - the CM of the 328ix will be lower than 328i w 10mm drop if and only if the xdrive hardware is more than .26m below the nominal CM. Since it's only .205 m, the 328ix CM is higher than the 328i w/ sport suspension (the d class sedan is meant to represent a midsize sedan like the Fusion or Malibu).

edit - I attached the data for you to see.
Attached Images

Last edited by drob23; 02-01-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0