View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #163
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sure, but isn't the lack of open-mindedness what leads to behaviors such as racism, bigotry, sexism, and the like. So the rule here is if you disrespect the brand that is BMW you get labeled and aren't allowed to play the BimmerPost sandbox? Wow.
I think that's overstating it a bit. Judging people for things they can't control is much worse than judging companies for the products they control. Lots of people would appreciate more civilized discourse, but in an open forum (like in politics) the loud mouthed and vulgar usually draw the most attention. As for this forum, there are places more amenable to general discussion and discussing cars as a whole than the f30 forum. I think, upon entering, it is assumed there will be f30 fanboys in greater numbers here than anywhere else. That being said many people love the S4 on here, even preferring it to the 335i so generally good cars are given their due by a majority of people.

My point is that there isn't a good or bad side of the argument. Many of the pro-ATS posts sound just as pedantic and judgmental as those of the f30 fanboys sound idiotic. No one is under any obligation to test drive a new car in the 3 series segment. No one has to give cadillac a fair shot. They earned their less than stellar reputation, just as toyota earned their reliable reputation. When cadillac is putting out products that are more desirable and have features that excite customers more people will give them a shot and test drive their cars. Companies have to earn the respect of the consumer. The Cimarron comes up because it was the last GM foray into this segment. It didn't go well. Cadillac still told people it was great.

Right now they get to be the boy who cried wolf. Maybe the ATS is a wolf, maybe it isn't, but I'm not surprised that some people aren't taking them seriously. There are too many products on the market, including this segment, for people to be able to be informed on all of them. Even if BMW is coasting on respect earned in the past, that is their prize for putting out consistently good products. If Cadillac had done the same more people on here would be interested in potentially owning the ATS.

If the ATS keeps getting favorable reviews, I'm sure many of the people who dismissed it at the start will give it a more serious look.
Appreciate 0