View Single Post
      07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #48
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Yeah. The ActiveHybrid is a CAFE sop, nothing more. I don't think they really expect anyone to buy it, or to care that it exists. That's not to say that it's not a great engineering exercise; I'm sure the technology used here will be implemented in mainstream models later. But the market niche for people who want to spend lots more money to get a 300lb heavier 'sport sedan' in order to get a slight improvement in mileage and a big decrease in vehicle dynamics is... miniscule.

This car is all about what they can learn from it and apply to future models.
I don't understand what you are saying. It has little effect on BMW's fleet CAFE rating. Do a little research on how these are calculated and you will find that CAFE ratings are base on a harmonic mean (using the reciprocal of the fuel economy) and not an arithmetic mean. That reduces the value of the outlier (in this case the Active Hybrid). It's also factored by the number of vehicles of it's type that are sold.

The reason for hybrids in a car of this type is solely to show off the technology. There is a market for cars like this and others like the Fisker Karma, Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, Lexus LS Hybrid, VW Tourag Hybrid and others.

I'd certainly be in the market for a car this fast that gets this kind of mileage if it was in my budget.

I know you prefer the diesel but as terrible sales of the 335d showed in the US, the market does not want that car. Hybrids are hot and diesels are not in the US.
Appreciate 0