03-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelbo View Post
Not sure if we are getting into crossed purposes.

What I meant is that in the event that the GAP insurance is paying out, Ala (for example) will pay out the money directly to the dealer where you bought the original car. You therefore replace your car with another (same spec and age) from the same dealer. Other companies (Easygap, but maybe others... I don't know) will send the money to you, the customer, not the dealer. You may then choose to buy a completely different car from a completely different dealer with that money.

E.g. I buy a £30k car of specification X. Two years later, it gets written off and my normal insurance pays me £15k. Lets assume I can still get the same car for £30k, so Ala will send the £15k 'GAP' to my original dealer and I am provided with a replacement, same spec car. Easygap, in contrast, send the £15k 'GAP' to me directly. I can take that money anywhere I want to and do way I want with it.

I'm no expert, and this is the first time i have decided to take GAP insurance, but this was a specific difference that I was made aware of and to my mind its worth knowing.

P.S. I collect my new 330d M Sport (AW and Coral) on Wednesday. Yay! My future posts will be on more interesting topics..... like the car!

Think I might be mixing up RTI with vehicle replacement.

Yes insurance is really boring
Appreciate 0