12-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Cheers. What are the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder diesel engines using out of interest? N47 and N57. Solenoid too or are they still Piezo?

Also, what are the advantages of Solenoid over Piezo?
From what I understand about the 2 types of injectors, Piezos have been developed to 'act' like a solenoid injector and are slowly - maybe a little faster than that - replacing solenoids.

However, they are a little bulkier than solenoids but quieter, hence the fast tapping or clicking sound the N20 makes at idle, being the slightly noisy solenoids we hear. Also Piezo are less power draining and faster.

Therefore, with more advantages of Piezo over Solenoid, it is interesting why BMW chose Solenoids over Piezos. I suspect because they are a proven, high performance unit, suitable for up to 200 Bar pressure and are highly customisable in terms of spray angle, spray shape and flow rates. Also, as the N20 is so close in build to the N55, which uses the same injectors, why reinvent the injection system.

Also, no idea about diesel injectors as I really don't have any interest. I have the N20, so I researched it a little.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.

Last edited by David328M-Sport; 12-19-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0