08-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #139
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
I think you are overestimating BMW abilities also. at the end of the day BMW is about making money and keeping the shareholders happy. the extra cost of R&D and and new production processes specially for the new FWD platform has to bo recouped somehow and that does translate into cost cutting in other areas.
I certainly don't believe they are immune, but I'm sure their business strategy, financial planning, research & development, product development, procurement, process engineering, manufacturing, quality control, and marketing is a little more complex and slightly better thought out than your single paragraph of objection.

Besides which FWD isn't rocket science and it certainly isn't new to BMW Group, the UKL platform will be common to other vehicles, and why would the rest be any more expensive than developing any other car.

I am 100% sure that the i8 and i3 are bigger financial risks to BMW than the FWD platform.. they are more likely to fail, and are bound to be way less profitable, and BMW created the whole BMW-i sub brand to promote them.... if you want to worry about anything worry about the i8 flopping, not the 1GT.
Appreciate 0