11-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post
Looking back in time at the early 90`s. BMW had what some considered to be a mini M car. Or baby M car. Or poor mans M-car. E30 318IS.
Specs:
138hp and 1180kg (2602lb) combined with a sporty chassis and LSD.

There have been several sporty models since (various IS, Si etc) , but in most cases, heavier and typically less "pure" sport cars (/sport sedans/coupes)

I realize that the M235I is the closest thing we get to a mini m-car today. And that modern day cars will be a bit larger and heavier compared to early 90`s cars. But at the same time. That car is not what I consider to be a spiritual successor due to its weight and power.

Fact is, BMW have never had more models to choose from. There have never been more M cars and M-inspired cars. But where is the modern day baby M?

BMW have a 2-series. They have a proper LSD for the 2 series. They have small lightweight engines. 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo engines producing from 136 to over 200hp.
It seems like BMW already have most parts to make sporty lightweight model if they just put the right parts together and tweaked and tuned them to suit a lightweight sporty car.

How bad would a M220IS be? Or just 220IS?
1,5L turbo with 180-200hp, 1320kg, LSD, sport suspension, brakes, seats exhaust etc. How hard and costly could it be for BMW to make something like that?
The recipe could be used on both the 1-series and 3-series in order to try and maximize sales in certain regions.

In countries where factors like displacement, CO2, HP, weight etc, equals high car taxes, a sporty car like that could become quite attractive.
It may not be the most popular car in the US, but im sure some would appreciate it for its lower weight, sportiness, and "adequate" power with good fuel economy. Put some "eco" tires on it like the GT86 and some sound trickery from the I8. I believe the media and many car enthusiasts would be all over it if it handled well and felt light and nimble.

And while Im at it. What about an M220I CSL?

What do you think?
Why not just get the GT86? If that is too little, the next step is BMW or some U.S. car, and then Porsche.
Appreciate 0