View Single Post
      11-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Why not just get the GT86? If that is too little, the next step is BMW or some U.S. car, and then Porsche.
GT86. No proper back seats and not that practical. Im not a huge fan of the engine (lack of torque and torque/power dip). Especially not considering the price here. Feels like a much cheaper car compared to a BMW too (despite that its the same price as a 220I with M-package). Ideally Id like GT86 handling in a better all round package (aka BMW ).

Next step is a BMW? Problem with all modern day BMW`s is that all the low powered models are not that sporty and engaging. You really need to get an M235I with the aftermarket LSD or proper M car in order to get a sporty drivetrain. E-diff and "low" turbo HP does not give the most exiting driving dynamics unless you are driving on snow.

U.S car?? Sporty, lightweight, and does not trigger a ton of engine taxes? Sounds like mission impossible.

Porsche. Same issues as a GT86. Not that practical. (And too expensive.)

220I with aftermarket LSD might be the best BMW option. But I have not seen a quaife LSD for it yet, and then there are potential "issues" with the electronic system (E-diff/driving modes) that may result in not getting the best out of an aftermarket diff and the car.
It would be nice if BMW just made a proper good and sporty car from the factory. Back in the E30 and E36 days you could turn off traction control (if the car had it) and enjoy the driving dynamics of a well balanced sporty car with a factory LSD.

Id just like M3 handling/dynamics in a more lightweight, less powerful and cheaper package. I like to think that there are still many people who enjoyed the 318IS-328I models in that past who today would appreciate sporty driving dynamics and be happy with similar levels of power today. But despite all the M cars, all M inspired cars, and all the added BMW models and variations of them, no such car no longer exist in the lineup.
Appreciate 0