View Single Post
      08-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
A4 Avant is still coming stateside in 2012 though A6 Avant won't be. Rumor holds that Audi will be bringing more diesels here too.

35d 3 series touring would be just the ticket. With sport seats.
That is the issue. Audi can support models that do not sell with VW Cash.
BMW cannot support a model if it is only sold to a handful of customers after being demanded by many that they ignore it and just wanted it to be there to look pretty in the BMW line-up.

If you take for example the 3er Touring E91 in the US - It is being outsold by the X3. When you compare E91 alongside , X1 and X3 within Europe then it has it's own share of the market. It can stand alone in Europe despite internal competition. In the US this is not possible.

BMW are thinking ahead when the X1 eventually arrives in the US. Will that deem the Touring unnecessary?

BMW's new North American CEO has a background in sales and he knows what works and what does not work in relation to individual markets. And like anyone else in BMW they see that the Touring is fairing badly as are other competitors who have a wagon against a similiar SUV/Crossover in the US Market. You cannot lose a market if the market is lost already.

If the F31 comes to the US and according to people I know it has not been federalized to do so, then it will be one model only. Do not expect 335i/335d.

But the Touring model will follow the 5er launch and immediately after the World Premiere @ Geneva for the 3er Sedan. The 3er Touring will have it's World Premiere at the AMI in Leipzig the following April. As the German market is the largest market for the Touring.

The Touring will become available in Petrol form - 318i ,320i,325i,328i and 335i. For diesel The Touring will be available as 316d,318d,320d,325d,330d,335d and of course an "Efficient Dynamics Edition" 320d Touring.

Again xDrive will be available for both Petrol and diesel.