02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I believe the Lexus ES chassis is still shared with Toyota. It was based on the camry but now the avalon.... BMW is a brand unto only itself. As much as people say Lexus is not Toyota, it's still a subbrand.

My friend likes calling every car out by it's parent company, and when he does it, it really does make sense. Like I prefer hondas over toyotas and therefore prefer acuras over lexus'.

BMW also own Rolls Royce. Does that make a RR a BMW, or is a BMW a RR?

One thing I can say for sure, no RR owners think they have BMWs and no BMW owners think they have RRs. Well, maybe some do, but they are mistaken. Now I'm sure that there are some aspects of each company's manufactured parts that are shared among the various organizations; it only makes good business sense to exploit synergies and get the most use possible out of the parts.

You and I have many identical parts. Moreover, some of those parts are identical to those found in pigs and fish. That hardly makes me you or you me, to say nothing of either of us being fish. You could even be porcine (I'm not, I work out. LOL), but that still doesn't make you a pig.

If nature can share parts, why shouldn't car makers?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0