View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
IMHO Imprezas, Evos, RS4/5/6 and 911 turbos are AWD for a reason. It may only be a lowly 320i but I am happy with my choice and hopefully there will be more models to chose in the future.
Of course AWD has its advantages, and there is nothing wrong with a lowly 320i xDrive. I was quite excited when I heard BMW were AT LAST introducing the 3-series xDrive to the UK. Was put on my shopping list.

But on reflection, whatever engine sizing, I'd still need the second wheel set for winter, as I want to stop as well as have grip and traction. I've seen too mant cars including AWD in the ditches, due to the wrong rubber. Often due to drivers believing the AWD is 'invincible' in winter.

You say it is only your opinion, but hopefully a more informed view helps us make best decisions. But please don't assume xDrive is the 'key bit' to better winter driving, it isn't and that is fact, not opinion.

The best option is xDrive with winter cold/weather tyres, the second best choice for a BMW, is RWD with winter tyres.

If the car is xDrive with summer tyres, it is further down the list of options for good winter performance.

There are plenty of informative videos showing this, including BMW xDrive cars on different tyres.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0