View Single Post
      10-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #15
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
My N55 died due to rod bearing failure after 70.000 miles. The car was fully serviced, service was done way before it was due and always by BMW. All in all it has about 500 miles of tracking.

Correction: Could also be crank shaft bearings. We never found out. Engine was discarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
Ugh, I just experienced this late last week...

2014 F32/435xi/8AT M-Sport
Build Date: 8/2013
Mods: MPPK, MPE, CAI, FMIC, CP, TIC
Miles: 47,000+
Purchased used in June 2016 with 32K miles.

I was heading home from work last week, took a scenic route and did a pull from a stop out in the middle of nowhere up through 3rd gear and my engine just shut off instead of shifting into 4th. Coasted to a stop and started the car without issue, though it was running a little rough at first. Had a rather loud engine knock past 3K rpm even on very light throttle. Towed to the dealer over the weekend and they confirmed today that it was likely a blown rod bearing due to the engine knock sound and the amount of metal shavings in the oil filter. Looking at two weeks and a new engine.

The standard warranty expires at the end of this month. Since it's a demo (which I didn't know until my first dealer oil changes months after purchase) my warranty is good until January 2018, so thankfully everything is covered, just barely. Unfortunately, I will have to buy an extended warranty to cover the new engine beyond the factory warranty if I want any long term protection from the same thing happening again.

All records indicate proper oil changes, and no other issues were found. I have taken very good care of the car and do not drive it hard until it warm. Since this was a demo model, I have no idea how much abuse it's taken in the past, but had two previous owners. Car does not burn hardly any oil (about halfway between full and low after 10K miles) and has been changed on schedule with whatever BMW is using. The dealer I'm working with has been great, and mentioned they've only seen a couple other N55 engines fail like this. Thankfully, they did not question any of the aftermarket mods as we did talk about them, though it sounds like the engine replacement approval might have been different had there been a piggyback installed.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get used to the sound and power of this loaner 320xi
... interesting both of you have the MPPK.
Appreciate 2