12-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #55
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I was addressing this post you made:
"2. When I look at the ratios of manual 6 and auto 8.
A8=M6
A7=M5
A6=M4
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6. "

The MT has 6 speed/forward ratios. It's 6th gear is an "over drive" gear.
The AT has 8 speed/forward ratios. 7th and 8th in the AT are "over drive" gears.

The gears are not between the different transmissions because they are different gear ratios.
Also, the final drives are not the same.

The only comparison that can be made is the 6th gear is over drive for the MT, and the AT has 2 over drive gears 7th and 8th.

What does this mean?
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6.
You are right, My mistake I completely missed the fact that they have different final drive ratios.

After these discussions I observed the shift points at Sport mode. Usually it keeps the car between 2000-2500 at steady speeds. It does not drop below 2000 when upshifting. It can do this because the gears are close enough. As I observed there is a higher Gap between 7 and 8. Looking at the shift pattern trought 3 to 7, it needs to shift 8 somewhere between 75-80 mph. This would be worse since most of the highway driving is between 70 and 80. Probably to prevent frequent up/down shift at highway driving they pushed the shift point for 8 to the higher rpms than the other gears.