Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
Level of want: -infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Hey I'll take that 2 foot shorter braking distance if it means I avoid hitting something.
For Info:

Spoiler such as this one does not have airbrake functionality...

For a spoiler to have airbrake functionality, you would have to add mechanism and electronics to control/command the spoiler to a vertical position for adding drag!

And even if it does have airbrake functionality (which it does not have)
Airbrakes is only effective during high speed...

At low speed, you are breaking wind ...

next time you are out driving, put your hands out and try to hold the air flow at 20 mph or even 45 mph....

the best you can do in shortening the braking distance is in the order of partial inches... or millimeters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilori View Post
Saw one of these prototypes today around 2:30pm on State St here in Santa Barbara.

Looked pretty tall.
if it means less people in F30, i am all for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
These types of spoilers work by interrupting the flow of air along the top of the back window that would then flow downwards in a vortex towards the back/underside of the car which would create an uplift under the back wheels. By deflecting the air upwards, the downward vortex will not interact with the back of the car, thus it will not cause uplift, thus the backend of the car will be firmly planted at highway speeds.

It's not a 'wing' that generates low pressure on the lower side as its main purpose. (e.g. the inverse of what airplane wings do) That is why it's probably more correct to call it a spoiler...it spoils the uplifting affects of the high speed air coming down the back window that would create low pressure under the car.

If I'm not mistaken....!
You've done well reciting your Engineering / Aerodynamics text book

but the last paragraph should say:
"It's a 'wing' that generates low pressure on the lower side as its main purpose." [...] ".... create high pressure over the spoiler and rear end of the car."

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 03-21-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0