05-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913
I have a question. Do these sales reflect the crazy amounts of cars that are just sitting at the dealers? Or are they actually going by cars that were registered in the customers names when they by them. Would be pretty easy to pad sales number by overstocking the dealers, kinda looks like that at my local dealer. Just curious how it works. I don't think leases should count either. Not until they buy them outright at the end of the lease. If they trade it in then they still have to sell it so it really hadn't been sold. Just borrowed for a bit. Just kinda rambling now haha. Well I said it.
Its the number of cars the dealers order.

Thats actually why BMW was the number one in the US two years ago, they just stuffed their dealers full of cars. The was like a 13,000 car discrepancy between the "official" sales numbers and the number of cars registered. MB had like a 3 car discrepancy. I think they tried to do it again this past year because if you look at the sales numbers there was this random month where 6er sales increased by like 300% from the previous year and there was a nearly 500% difference from the preceding and following months (sales went from 557 cars to 3063 then back to 483). And there has been no changes to the 6er line up in the past year so there is no reason for that massive of a sales increase.
Appreciate 0