rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Having done the conversion, sort of obvious I understand it better than you.

While that’s true between F3x vehicles and M3/M4 Steering wheels, Airbags, exterior mirrors and the like, that is not true in numerous other electronic or mechanical modules. If there were not differences, BMW would just use the same part number to reduce SKUs. In fact, they released a news story 3 years ago that they intended to reduce SKUs by 35%.
You having done the retrofit is not indicative of expertise...anyone can follow an online guide with relative ease. Had you said something which inspired confidence like "no way it would work, the pinout is way different for both parts" that would have been insightful and much more helpful. You may or may not be an expert, but sitting here, appealing to your own authority without substantiating it is silly, when the number one reason people go to forums is to share and gain knowledge.

Back on topic...while it is true that if they were able to use the exact same part in production, they most likely would (i.e. the ICM module). However, the fact that its not listed doesn't mean it wouldn't work, as we don't know the reason for it not being listed as compatible. As pointed out above this post, realOEM can be used to check compatibility, but that doesn't mean if its not listed then its not compatible.
Appreciate 0