Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
If you recall, there was also HPFP failures with early N55's, as they were using the older design pumps.
The N55 wasn't a solution to the HPFP problem, as some people promoted that conspiracy theory.

BMW finally released a pump that works and isn't failing.
They released an "internal" recall, meaning it was BMW/self initiated.
Customers could come in and have their HPFP's replaced even if they had no problems.

That was the case with my 09 135i. My HPFP was fine, but I figured may as well get it replaced now that they have the issue sorted. No problems with the new pump either.

So basically, ever since that recall and that pump, any x35i engine that received the new replacement pump has not failed.
Cars that had 2, 3, or more replacements finally had a functioning HPFP after the recall.

I'm sure there are still some x35i turbo engines out there that didn't go in for the recall, or waited until their original pump failed, and then bring them in, and thus we're still reading and hearing about them.
But for the vast majority the newest pump fixed the problem, and the failure and re-failure rate has dropped significantly.
As I said, I think any failures we are hearing about now are more likely those who didn't do the recall, and I'm sure there are a few pumps here and there failing, but NOTHING like what was happening before.

The 10yr/120K warranty on the HPFP is still good too.
Wow, ok cool. I didnt know they actually had a good pump now. Ill be honest, this really really entices me to search later on for a 09-10 335i m sport. They're so moddable and make tons of power cheap. It would finally make a good daily with 400hp worth of fun.

The e9x is still such a great car. And I hope they come out with some tunes for out f30's soon, I need about another 50-60 hp on tap to be satisfied.