02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hi Pete

.....The adaptive uses the same spring rate I believe, but has a softer and harder damper setting than the passive......not everyone will, but I can feel it is 'not quite right' in either setting.

F30 adaptive is also quite a simple system, solenoid valve opens up a secondary port, so on-off type adjustment.

Soft is under-damped and 'springy', not nice......and the sport setting is over damped, so much so that the suspension patters when the going gets rough. It also gets crashy in sport over some bumps......
Ah, understand where you are coming from. What you are saying is something I've mused on, knowing there must be compromises on the damping/spring rates. I suppose it is the only way BMW can set it up to get the best off the peg balance/compromise for each adaptive setting. I haven't actually tried the F30 adaptive suspension, as my attention went to the 5-series, and therefore to the more advanced VDC with the 3-settings. I do feel the 'normal' mode, the mid range damping is the best setting, in the 5-series for general use. Again it is probably the best matched damping for the spring rate, with a bit of compromise each way on the comfort and sport settings. It is in that mid setting where the active part does give a better ride and handling balance, compared to the passive standard suspension on the 5-series cars, from my test driving. In my case I was after the best ride quality, as my typical roads are a bit challenging and sport suspension is just too harsh a ride.

I'm sure the 3-series would be a better setup if it had the 3-mode active system, or even the EDC-K damping of the M3, where there are two controlled (active) modes and one uncontrolled passive like sport setting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0