02-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Digital generally does terrible things to sound. It took the best audio engineers 25 years to produce a high-end CD player that could finally give a performance as rich, full-bodied and emotionally satisfying as a mid-range record player. The best CD players will now make your hair stand on end, make you smile or weep as convincingly as a top-notch record player.

That's wonderful news if you love music and, better still, many mid-priced CD players will now do the same. But don't forget that there is nothing natural about digital. Quite the opposite. Sound is created in the analogue world and our ears and brains interpret it in the same analogue world. To digitise sound is to bugger it up almost irretrievably. And if you drop the bandwidth too low in the process, then no amount of engineering genius will ever get the tears or smiles back. Gone forever.

And FM will be turned off at some point, although I can't really see it happening in 2015, as DAB uptake is still too low. It'll be sad when it happens.
You are 100% my man! Digital sound can never reproduce the emotion one gets from vinyl. Very close with a very, very expensive CD player, but never quite there. Great dynamics and no clicks and pops.

It will be a very sad day when they switch off FM. My tears will cause the Thames Barrier to activate.