RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I'm finding it difficult to believe there are BMW owners on this forum that don't understand the concept of wheel alignment. The front suspension in most every car is adjustable for caster, camber, and toe-in/out; BMWs also have the same adjustments on the rear suspension as well. Overall, the wheels have to be aligned such that they are parallel to the chassis and allow the car to roll completely straight ahead with the steering wheel centered. This is done with an alignment machine, a lift on which the car is placed and devices are then attached to each wheel to measure the aforementioned categories (caster, camber, etc.) via a system of laser beams.

When the car veers to the right or left with the steering centered, it usually indicates a problem with either the wheels not being in parallel alignment to the chassis or it can be a low tire on one side or an actual tire problem. With non-unidirectional tires, a simple right-left tire swap can sometimes cure the problem; most BMWs have performance tires with unidirectional tread (they have to rotate in the direction of the arrows on the sidewall) so this swap isn't possible. If the tire has a defect in its inner structure, it will pull to one direction or the other.

Finally, when things like this occur to a BMW that is under warranty, it should be taken to the dealership to get it checked out and fixed, depending on what's causing the problem. A 4-wheel alignment at the dealer is going to cost about $200; tire replacement will also be higher than at a tire dealer; however, it could be due to faulty suspension parts, although this would be rare on a car this new. If taken to a 3rd-party tire dealer, be sure that they can do a 4-wheel alignment instead of just the front-wheel alignment.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0