View Single Post
      02-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
Yes, I agree with clarence that Hong Kong is a very mature market & not a "young market" at all. The competition is hot not because the market is young but because the higher sector is packed with other famous premier brands such as Benz, Porsche, Audi, Lexus,...and Hong Kong is the entry point for BMW into mainland China. After the success in Hong Kong, after BMW entered mainland China, now mainland China is the 3rd largest market of BMW & there are 2 BMW factories in mainland China, then you know Hong Kong is not "young".
BMW & other famous brands already developed their clear image in Hong Kong for many years. Next time if you have a chance to come to Hong Kong, you will feel it.
I agree HK is a mature market and was used as a "beachhead" for many auto brands looking to expand into China. Nowadays, Hong Kong's role as the beacon for the mainland has decreased somewhat, many major automakers can go directly to Mainland China. The market tastes between HK and Mainland China is also diverging alot now. For example, you have all those extended length bimmer models in Mainland China that isn't offered in Hong Kong. Audi is seen as the government official car on the Mainland whereas it's just another luxury brand in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong market is more traditional in their tastes, more "Western" if you will.

Truth be told, many HK people who can afford to buy BMW don't really know that much about the bimmers they drive. I suspect many don't even know their cars is rear-wheeled drive or has 50:50 balance. Many HK people buy cars more as a fashion statement to display their status by the badge on the hood. In that respect, it's not much different to the US market, where bimmer fans are numerous but are still very much in the minority of BMW buyers overall.
Appreciate 0