Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Post EPA Revises 2012 328i (F30) Fuel Mileage to 33 MPG

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
BMW communication/explanation on the matter:

All manufacturers are responsible for testing and submitting fuel economy figures each year to the EPA (based on physical tests following the EPA test cycle on a dynamometer). Occasionally, the EPA will validate the figures that we provide. When this happens, there are sometimes small changes in the published EPA fuel economy figures (usually 1 mpg up or down).

The EPA recently tested the 2012 328i Automatic and obtained a highway mileage result that was 3m pg lower (33mpg versus 36mpg) than the BMW test result. We are very surprised by this result and are currently working to determine how this is possible. The new rating seems abnormally low in relation to the other models in the BMW range and by the real-world fuel economy that we are seeing from this model.

Unfortunately, there is no provision in the EPA rules for a re-test this year. Therefore regardless of the results of our investigation, the new rating will stand for this model year.
As outlined in the BMW communication above, the new 328i apparently had it's fuel economy numbers revised and now shows the same numbers as the 335i in AT, and only slightly better than the 335i in MT.

The numbers are now:

BMW 2012 328i Sedan
City 23 / Highway 33 / Combined 26 - Automatic
City 23 / Highway 34 / Combined 27 - Manual

BMW 2012 335i Sedan
City 23 / Highway 33 / Combined 26 - Automatic
City 20 / Highway 30 / Combined 23 - Manual

With this, I'm just wondering who start to have second thoughts about their choice for the 328i due to the revised fuel economy of the car?

Personally I have no idea what to do yet. My car does not arrive until the end of March, but more likely the first week of April. Should I keep the car because it's cheaper or shall I order a new one and spend a few thousand more (although, in my case, I would leave the cold weather package this time lol). Do I want to wait the extra months or should I just forgo on the whole model and see about a 528i or 535i with slightly less options instead (kind of hard as I love to geek with some of that stuff lol). I did email my CA to see what he can tell me about the revised numbers.

I have no idea what to do yet, but I can say I am not feeling right about this. I do feel a bit like this was false advertising and we should at least have the possibility to upgrade to the 335i if we wish to.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0