View Single Post
      07-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #27
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

Thanks for that information. I was thinking Europeans are buying more GT models. Hatchbacks were never an American style vehicle. Americans equate hatchbacks with imported cheap boring cars. Touring, or "station wagons" as they are termed here, have a more interesting history. As the name implies, they replaced the horse drawn wagons originally used to collect passengers and baggage from train depots and deliver them to hotels. Through the 1940's the passenger body section was framed out in real wood. (Ford had at one time a lumber mill and factory in the Northwest to provide this essential component!) By the 1950's station wagons were all steel but had fiberglass and vinyl appliques to mimic the original beautiful real wood paneling. They lost this rugged image then as they became suburbanite vehicles. There are no station wagons produced by American car companies today. The SUV has taken its place since it now provides that same rugged image, only now it comes from the "go anywhere" Jeep concept. As for me, I see the GT as the perfect cross between the best of the station wagon, hatchback and SUV concepts! I have an order in to pick up a 335 GT via European Delivery in October. I can't wait to amaze my friends when I show them all its features!
Appreciate 0