03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John View Post
I am also a BMW CA and have been selling cars for 17 years 10 of which have been BMW and Audi. In that guys case I doubt he tried to intentionally give you the wrong info. For what ever reason he probably heard that from someone else and just recycled it. It made sense to him so he is rolling with it. As DesertSmokeBBQ mentioned there is typically high amounts of turn over in the car business and many don't take it as seriously as they should. It is actually more rare than you think to be a car salesman and a enthusiast. I happen to be both and pride myself in my knowledge of my brand however, there some small tweaks that BMW makes as the years roll that they don't make any real effort to let us know about. for example the door hinges.
I concur, most car salesmen are in it to make money and unfortunately don't know the intimate details about the cars they're selling. I think they really focus on the inventory and not what you could order, therefore they don't bother knowing what all the bells and whistles actually are/do.

They also tend to spill information as it's fact when it's not. That probably annoys me the most. Misinforming me just to get past my question is infuriating, especially because I tend to know the answer before I ask. Telling me "that's not an option" when it is or explaining how some technology works when I know that's not how it works makes me want to walk away.

I loved the audi guy I started my car search with who told me he didnt understand why people expected below MSRP on a S4, it just wasn't done. When I said I could get it for x price at another dealer 300 miles away, he was upset and said that his dealership loses money when people buy cars at another dealership then have them serviced there... I wont even go into the MB online salesman who ordered a car for me to test (apparently they don't stock C350s here) and someone else sold it before they even told me they got it in.

I think they just don't care and are making money selling their inventory so customer service is a waste of their time. Well until you fill out their customer satisfaction form and they want you to put the highest score on each and every option. My BMW CA didn't offer me a test drive but wanted me to say he offered it to me so he could get the max score. His logic was that he could tell I didn't need one because I didn't ask.

I could go on and on..
Appreciate 0