View Single Post
      02-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
I don't know anything about IHKR vs. IHKA, but I respectively disagree with your statement that the E9X system sets the duct temperature to the user-selected temperature. The temp of the air coming out of the ducts will vary depending on user-selected temp, cabin temp, and info received by the photo sensor on the dash. That is, the air coming out of the ducts may be warmer or cooler than the user-selected temp, depending on what the cabin temp is and what the photo sensor is reading. If the system functioned as you described, the air coming out of the vents would always be a constant temperature (user-selected), which it definitely is not. In addition, this would render a cabin temp sensor unnecessary, and the E9X system has one (located on the front of the HVAC control panel).

I see you're located in South Africa. Perhaps you have different versions of the climate control than that which we receive here in the U.S.? Also, are we both referring to the fully automatic system as found on U.S. cars?
We've had IHKA fully automatic systems in the E90/1/2/3 range since the launch in 2005, Europe and US.

Although improved, the F30 system is only 'tweaked', doesn't sound as if it is much more advanced in many ways, than the older IHKA system.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 02-20-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0