View Single Post
      01-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
If so, what was the deciding factor on not buying Audi? I am a longstanding BMW buyer, but I am curious what other BMW owners think?

F30 in XDrive loaded is in the same price range as the S4.
If you really want and need AWD I'd say go with the S4.
Audi's quattro is excellent.
Plus quattro actually improves the cars overall handling and performance whereas X drive lessens the 3's overall handling performance, at least in my experience and in reading reviews of X drive 3's.
Not saying X drive is bad. One benefit, besides allowing better snow driving, is that it helps off the line acceleration.
It's just not the famed BMW RWD performance, whereas quattro is what makes an Audi and Audi.

For the best handling 3 series I'd go RWD.
For the best handling Audi A4/S4 I'd go AWD.

The S4 is one very sweet sport sedan. I had an A4 sport 2006 and it was very fun to drive, GREAT in the snow.
Not as nimble as my 325i, 135i, or current 335i, but fun non the less.
The S4 is a stellar sport sedan. It readily beats the former and current 335i in performance reviews.
Awesome V6 supercharged engine. Equally kinda numb steering as the F30, but just as responsive and accurate.
Sport suspension feels a bit firmer than my 335i Msport, and I would prefer a firmer feel in my 335i.
Mechanically and driving/handling is as good as my 335i Msport, and maybe even a bit better.

But, what stopped me from getting the S4 was the seating comfort and a good bit higher lease payment for nearly the same MSRP and selling prices.
The S4 sport seats are quite nice, but they just sat too high and wouldn't go lower and I needed them too. I felt like I was sitting ON the car instead of IN it. That sucked as I put driver seat comfort as the #1 priority on my list of 'need/must have'.
Also, MPG isn't as good with the S4 compared to the F30 Xdrive and especially RWD 335i with sport AT.
Leasing was awful for the S4.
My 335i Msport has an MSRP of around $52K and with good negotiating and decent BMW incentives and great lease rates my monthly is around $512 tax included.
The S4 would have been in the mid $600's.

When you equip and option an S4 with an equivalent 335i Msport the 335i is more expensive.
335Xi Msport - MSRP: $54,520
335Xi Sport - MSRP: $53,020
S4 - MSRP: $52,470

The S4 is an excellent choice for an AWD sport sedan.
The 335Xi is also an excellent choice.
But since you asked which one, I pick the S4 for an AWD sport sedan.

Last edited by RPM90; 01-19-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0