08-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM View Post
How do we know when Major updates are out? I want to do some coding and I don't' want it to be wiped out when I go for my first service...

Thanks
I don't know of any way to find out if there are updates or whether or not service will install them automatically or not.

I just went through what you described; I took the car in for service last week (an early first oil change) and minor complaints about the auto stop-start system being rough and stalling.

They found a software update that addressed the issue, so they installed new software on my car. This wiped out all of my codings. The tech even noted that they saw my custom codings and wiped them out for me. All of the iDrive settings were also reset. I had exported our profiles to a USB stick before I took it in, so it was easy to restore our profiles when I got the car back.

When I went to recode, I found that I needed to get the current coding files as the ones I had were now out of date.

Bottom line is that if you want to code, you have to deal with possibly having to do recoding after taking your car into service. That's part of the experience you get when you code your car.
Appreciate 0