View Single Post
      07-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #117
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauber F1 View Post
So, from the data that BMW has of me purchasing all the BMW's that I have over the last couple of decades, they can see that I wanted the car to get bigger and be more luxurious? It's all so clear now, thanks for enlightening me.
Clearly you are alone here. And by "alone" I mean maybe 0.1% of all 3 Series owners think and act like you do.

I can say this with authority because the F30 backs me up, speaks volumes all by itself. If there were more enthusiasts who wanted the car a certain way, BMW would have made it that way. They didn't.

And from my own personal experience? I live in the BMW 3 Series capital of the world. Here in my town in Bergen County I can't go 1 mile on a road without seeing at least one 3 Series. That's a fact, it's ridiculous. And every time a 3 goes by me I keep looking for Mr. Performance Enthusiast behind the wheel. That 30-something guy who looks cool, keeps his car in immaculate condition, races the engine at traffic lights, bursts off the line like a rocket.

Yet every time I look through the windshield at the dozens of 3 Series that pass me each day, you know what I see? A bunch of 50 year olds. A school teacher, a librarian, a bookkeeper, a middle manager, a pudgy county clerk. They drive like everyone else does- slowly and safely. Their cars have door-dings and dirty alloys. They have the bare-bones base E90 328i, occasionally I see a 335i or another M-Sport but it's still the same old fart driving it. And those "holy" 3 Series? The E36 or E46? Either they're driven by 60 year olds in a paid off ride from their glory days or it's a high school kid in a hand-me-down.

Respectfully, there are about 100 performance enthusiasts out there. They are all here, all frequenting this site. They perpetuate the myth that's been force-fed them by the marketing masters at BMW. In the real world, they're outnumbered 500,000 to 1. It's not BMW that needs to change; it's you.

BJ
Appreciate 0